INDIALEAD

Tribal welfare scam: Yathindra Siddaramaiah defends K’taka minister as LoP Ashoka slams govt

Kalaburagi/Bengaluru, Aug 23 (IANS) Karnataka Urban Development Minister Yathindra Siddaramaiah on Sunday defended the state’s Planning and Statistics Minister B. Nagendra, an accused in the tribal welfare scam, after reports that the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had written to the Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot seeking permission to question him in connection with the alleged scam, while Leader of Opposition (LoP) R. Ashoka accused the state government of shielding the Minister.

Speaking to reporters in Kalaburagi, Yathindra said there was no evidence to establish Nagendra’s involvement in the alleged scam and claimed that the Minister was being targeted for political reasons.

“The ED and CBI work under the Centre. There is no evidence to prove the involvement of Minister Nagendra in the scam. He has been targeted for political reasons,” he added.

Questioning the description of Nagendra as a “tainted” Minister, Yathindra asked, “Why has he (B. Nagendra) been referred to as tainted? Where has it been proved? Only the ED and CBI have made allegations.”

He said the Special Investigation Team (SIT), which conducted a probe into the alleged irregularities in the Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation, had found no evidence to make Nagendra an accused.

“We (Karnataka government) cannot accept something merely because the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is making statements or because the ED and CBI are making allegations,” he added.

Responding to a query about former Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s earlier statement on the floor of the House, that funds had been misappropriated from the Valmiki Corporation, Yathindra said money had indeed been transferred out of the corporation.

“Yes, the money had gone out of the corporation. Some officials or those involved had transferred the money to different bank accounts,” he added.

Yathindra said that around Rs 89 crore had been misappropriated and claimed that about Rs 74 crore had been seized in cash and other forms, while the remaining Rs 10 crore had been recovered through the seizure of cars and other assets.

“All the money that had gone missing has been recovered. Despite this, the BJP is falsely claiming that there is a scam,” he added.

Reacting to the CBI’s reported communication to the Governor, LoP Ashoka accused the D.K. Shivakumar-led state government of refusing to grant prosecution sanction in cases involving the state Ministers.

“The corruption in D.K. Shivakumar’s Cabinet is increasing. Therefore, the state government is not granting permission for prosecution,” Ashoka said.

He claimed that the Lokayukta had sought prosecution sanction against Minister Nagendra, BJP leader Janardhana Reddy and former BJP Minister Renukacharya in separate cases.

“If the BJP was to be in power, the permission for investigation would have been given,” he added.

Ashoka said the BJP’s agitation would continue both inside and outside the state Assembly and that the party would ultimately approach the Governor.

“As a last resort, we will knock on the doors of Raj Bhavan. We will also decide on various other forms of protest,” he added.

Ashoka also cited details allegedly contained in the chargesheet, claiming that funds from the corporation had been transferred to around 600 bank accounts and used to purchase luxury cars and gold.

He alleged that money had also been transferred to Nagendra’s relatives, associates and farmhouse owners, besides some officials.

“All the documents have been submitted in the state Assembly,” Ashoka said.

Referring to Siddaramaiah’s earlier statement that Rs 89 crore, rather than Rs 187 crore, had been misappropriated, Ashoka asked how Nagendra could now be considered cleared of wrongdoing.

“When Siddaramaiah was the Karnataka Chief Minister, Nagendra was called a thief, but how did he become innocent after D.K. Shivakumar became Chief Minister?” he asked.

Ashoka also claimed that Nagendra’s properties were seized after his arrest and asked why such action would have been taken if there was no wrongdoing.

He also alleged that conversations between Nagendra and his aide Nekkundi Nagaraj were part of the investigation records and claimed that Nagendra’s name figured in the SIT report.

The exchange comes amid the BJP’s intensified campaign seeking Nagendra’s resignation over the alleged tribal welfare fund scam, while the ruling Congress maintains that there is no evidence to establish his involvement and that the matter should be dealt with through the ongoing legal process.

–IANS

mka/khz

Related Posts