INDIALEAD

Ken-Betwa project: CM Yadav assures affected families of fair rehabilitation

Bhopal/Chhatarpur, Aug 21 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav on Friday directed officials to go door-to-door in villages affected by the Ken-Betwa river linking project and resolve the grievances of displaced families, saying the government would not leave any scope for mistakes in implementing the ambitious project.

Yadav issued the directions while reviewing the progress of the Ken-Betwa River Linking National Project at the Maharaja Chhatrasal Convention Centre in Khajuraho. The focus of the meeting was on rehabilitation, compensation and basic amenities for families affected by the project.

“The government is ready to listen to the grievances of genuine families affected by the Ken-Betwa link project. But some people are trying to mislead the people and defame such a large and important project, which is going to change the lives of people of entire Bundelkhand, is condemnable,” Yadav said during an interaction with the press following the review meeting.

The Chief Minister directed the administrations of Panna and Chhatarpur to send officials to affected villages and interact directly with families to understand their problems. He specifically asked officials to deal sensitively with the concerns of tribal families and resolve genuine issues on priority.

CM Yadav also ordered that eligible families should receive the benefits of government schemes at their homes and asked officials to prepare an action plan for schools, Anganwadis, health centres and community halls at rehabilitation sites.

The directions assume significance as 5,039 families in Panna and Chhatarpur are affected by the project. Of these, 1,321 families are from Panna and 3,718 from Chhatarpur.

Officials said all the affected families have opted for the special rehabilitation and resettlement package.

“It is true that a large area is going to be affected and at this stage, the government will not leave any room for any mistake. We all have good intentions,” CM Yadav said, adding that the administration had been asked to engage with affected people and explain the government’s position in a transparent manner.

The Chief Minister also directed Water Resources Minister Tulsiram Silavat to monitor the project regularly and ensure coordination between departments. He ordered the immediate disbursement of additional compensation sanctioned for people affected by the Runjh-Majhgaon project in Panna.

In cases where affected persons do not have documents establishing their age, a medical examination will be used to determine it.

At the same time, Yadav asked officials to organise Jan Chaupal meetings and awareness campaigns in affected areas to explain the benefits of the project and address concerns among residents.

The Ken-Betwa project is expected to significantly expand irrigation and drinking water access in Bundelkhand. In Madhya Pradesh, it is projected to increase irrigation capacity by about 8.11 lakh hectares and provide drinking water to more than 44 lakh people.

The project also envisages generation of 103 MW of hydropower and 27 MW of solar energy and is expected to directly benefit 1,382 villages in Panna, Damoh, Chhatarpur, Tikamgarh, Niwari, Sagar, Vidisha, Raisen, Shivpuri and Datia.

“With such a large-scale scheme, the entire lifestyle of Bundelkhand is going to change. If someone tries to defame it or take political advantage of it, I will condemn such an act,” Yadav said.

–IANS

pd/uk

Related Posts