
Tehran, Aug 22 (IANS) Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said that the US anti-Iran economic operation is doomed to fail like its other coercive measures against the country.
“14 years ago: ‘Most crippling sanctions in history.’ Failed. 8 years ago: ‘Maximum pressure.’ Failed. 5 months ago: ‘Unconditional surrender.’ Failed. Today: ‘Most crushing economic operation ever.’ Bound to fail,” Araghchi posted on social media platform X.
The remarks came after US President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday “the most crushing economic operation ever taken” against any country providing a lifeline to Iran, reports Xinhua news agency.
“This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump posted on Truth Social, calling the move “an ECONOMIC D-DAY.”
Earlier Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Kazem Gharibabadi said that the United States is now further pressuring Iran under the label of an “economic war,” which he views as an attempt to cover up Washington’s previous failure.
Gharibabadi said in a social media post that while the United States claims Iran is “on the verge of collapse,” it is reaching out to all its allies for help, Iran’s official news agency IRNA reported.
To cover up its failure, the United States has to create an even bigger failure, Gharibabadi said, adding that the military war had failed to deliver results, and Washington was now calling the next defeat an “economic war.”
On June 18, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on ending the war in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon. Under the MoU, they were scheduled to hold negotiations within a period of 60 days, which ended on Monday, to reach a final agreement, but the talks’ fate remains unclear following the escalation between the two countries last month.
–IANS
rs/
