INDIALEAD

Rajasthan: Former Ajmer mayor Dharmendra Gehlot quits BJP

Jaipur, Aug 20 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has suffered a setback ahead of the upcoming civic elections in Rajasthan, with former Ajmer Mayor Dharmendra Gehlot resigning from the party’s primary membership and seeking relief from his responsibilities as Nagaur district in‑charge.

In a video statement, Gehlot levelled allegations against Rajasthan Assembly Speaker Vasudev Devnani, claiming political differences had led to pressure on him. He issued a strong challenge to Devnani, saying he was prepared to face the consequences but would not bow down.

Gehlot said the Department of Local Self‑Government had issued him notices concerning matters dating back to 2015–2020 and 2021. He alleged Devnani had used his influence to have the notices issued. “Everyone knows that I have political and ideological differences with him. He did this to put me under pressure,” Gehlot alleged.

He said he had been a loyal and responsible BJP worker and did not want the party to face embarrassment or allow the Opposition Congress to exploit the situation. He announced his resignation from the BJP’s primary membership and the post of Nagaur district in‑charge until the matters were resolved.

Gehlot added that he would soon present facts relating to both matters and clarify his position. In his video message, he directly addressed Devnani, saying their differences would continue. He confirmed that the video constituted his official statement and that he had sent a letter to the party seeking relief from his membership and responsibilities.

According to records, during the then Municipal Corporation Commissioner’s leave, maps relating to 13 files were approved through then Mayor Gehlot. A judicial inquiry was subsequently initiated, and the Judicial Department reportedly held him responsible. The Anti‑Corruption Bureau (ACB) also initiated an investigation in 2019, although prosecution sanction was not granted at that time.

The state government has now granted prosecution sanction to the ACB. Separately, based on the judicial inquiry report, the Department of Local Self‑Government has issued a notice to Gehlot seeking an explanation as to why he should not be disqualified from contesting elections for six years under the Rajasthan Municipalities Act. He has reportedly been given three days to respond.

Assembly Speaker Vasudev Devnani, responding to the controversy, said he had no differences with anyone.

The development comes at a politically sensitive time for the BJP, with civic elections approaching in Rajasthan and the dispute between two prominent Ajmer figures becoming increasingly public.

Meanwhile, Congress leaders have seized on the controversy to target the BJP. Rajkumar Jaipal, President of the City District Congress Committee, said the video had brought allegations of intimidation and harassment of senior BJP leaders and former elected representatives into the public domain. He argued that if the BJP leadership could not respect its own leaders, its claims of protecting the public’s dignity and rights would have little meaning.

Former RTDC Chairman Dharmendra Rathore said the video raised questions about alleged pressure and discontent within the BJP and claimed that the allegations against Gehlot’s political colleagues cast doubt on the party’s internal democratic functioning.

City Congress District Vice‑President Vivek Parashar said Gehlot, whom he described as a fellow lawyer, would not be left alone to face any alleged pressure, injustice or harassment.

The allegations made by Gehlot and Congress leaders are political claims; Devnani has denied having differences with anyone.

–IANS

arc/dan

Related Posts