Palaniswami attacks TN govt over long power cuts, urges immediate action

Chennai, May 24 (IANS) AIADMK General Secretary Edappadi K. Palaniswami (EPS) on Sunday launched a sharp attack on the newly elected Tamil Nadu government over reports of power disruptions in several parts of the state, alleging that inadequate planning and unstable governance have resulted in widespread electricity shortages affecting both households and industries.

In a statement, Palaniswami said it was well known that electricity demand in Tamil Nadu rises significantly during the summer season due to increased domestic consumption during daytime hours as well as higher industrial and commercial usage.

He said that during the AIADMK government under former Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, advanced precautionary measures were regularly undertaken to ensure that the state’s seasonal power requirements were met without disruption.

Recalling the AIADMK’s tenure in power, Palaniswami claimed that when the “Amma government” assumed office in 2011, it inherited a difficult situation where many parts of Tamil Nadu had been experiencing power cuts lasting over 10 hours a day. He said the government subsequently addressed the crisis and transformed Tamil Nadu into a power-surplus state through a series of strategic interventions.

Palaniswami stated that the previous administration had anticipated increased summer demand and taken steps to expand electricity generation from wind, solar and thermal power sources. He added that additional power had also been procured through short-term arrangements from the Central government and private power producers to ensure an uninterrupted electricity supply across the state.

Criticising the current administration, EPS alleged that its “superficial and unstable” approach had created serious difficulties for people across various regions of Tamil Nadu.

According to him, prolonged and unannounced power cuts have disrupted daily life, with residents experiencing sleepless nights and daytime outages affecting household activities, including cooking and other essential tasks.

He also referred to media reports claiming that residents affected by power outages had staged protests and demonstrations in several places.

He pointed to reports from Chennai’s suburban areas, including Thandaiyarpet, where residents allegedly faced repeated power interruptions and had taken to the streets in protest.

The AIADMK leader further said the power disruptions had affected not only households but also micro, small and medium enterprises, as well as larger industries, causing economic strain across sectors. He urged the newly formed government not to cite its recent assumption of office as an excuse and called for immediate, war-footing measures to address the power crisis.

–IANS

aal/dpb

Exit mobile version